Don’t you worry now! It’s a piece of cake to expand the virtual hard disk at a later point in time. Just follow these steps:
- Make sure to backup your virtual machine before proceeding. Just incase!
- From VWware Player (I’m using version 3.1.3), select the virtual machine you want to expand and click Edit virtual machine settings.
- Choose the device Hard Disk (IDE), click the Utilities button and choose Expand….
- Enter the new maximum size in GB and click Expand. This will take a moment.
Your virtual hard disk is now expanded but the guest operating system is still not aware of this.
- Start your virtual machine.
- If your guest operating system is Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista or Windows 7 you could expand the volume in Disk Manager. But if your guest operating system is Windows XP like mine was you have to use a third party utility. I used EASEUS Partition Master which has a free edition for home users.
- Download, install and start EASEUS Partition Master – Home Edition.
- Choose the partition you want to expand and click Resize/Move Partition. Move the slider to the desired size (probably all the way to the right) and click OK.
- Click Apply and EASEUS applies the new size to the volume.
- You can now stop using CCleaner every five minutes